Sunday, October 25, 2009

I CAN SEE THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL NOW...

I was so busy with work and homework this week that I hadn't touched my jacket since last Saturday's all day sewing marathon. So my friends and I had a early Saturday evening dinner, had our show and tell session, and then preceeded to sew for about 6 hours straight. Quite progressive, but I still did a lot of work on the jacket today.

I did get my sleeves in yesterday, and guess what?, they match with the jacket front and back. I was so afraid that they wouldn't match. Could it be...that I have finally learned to match stripes/checks/plaids?





I don't know about all of you, but I cannot make this thing work! I've tried several times to no avail. I'll try again later, but in the meantime,

I learned of this magnificent technique in a post from Cindy at Color by Number. So sim1ple! So useful! I'm in love with this and will be using it A LOT! THANKS FOR SHARING CINDY! I used her technique to make the bias tape from my jacket lining fabric. Worked like a charm! So I enclosed the sleeve cap seam with my beautiful bias tape. Learning to make bias tape for this jacket also helped me accomplish one of the goals I set for this year.

I had to hem the sleeves because I forgot to bag them according the the Thread's Magazine article. Can we all say "LOTS OF HAND STITCHING". Now all that is left to do is to attach the trim and add the chain at the hem.

I had to decide on the placement for the trim; I think I like this placement best. And then decide how much of the trim to use, and where to place it. I really like the jacket and the trim, but I don't want to chance making it look gaudy. I'm thinking about placing the trim down the front, the neck area, and the faux pocket flaps only. Traditionally the trim is also placed on the sleeve and the bottom hem of the jacket, but I don't know. WHAT DO YOU THINK???

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now...




5 comments:

  1. I can't believe how well your checks matched up!! Looks wonderful.

    And don't you just love the bias strip tip!! I owe it to my old sewing instructor, Veronica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is absolutely beautiful. This is the winter coat I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I can't see your trim really well, but as long as it's not sparkly or anything, I would put it on the sleeves and bottom, too. I don't think it will look gaudy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faye, wow, you'll have to give me lessons on matching plaids. I haven't tried a bold one like this yet but I have several fabrics in my stash to inspire me to follow you. I think your trim looks great. As for where to place it, that's definitely a personal choice. I for one don't like trims or borders across the bottom of the jacket...too much horizontal line for me at an area tha I don't want your eyes to follow. (I don't have the willowy figures in the Chanel ads) I like the up and down of the collar and the front and then either on the pockets or on the sleeves as well as pockets.

    ReplyDelete