Tuesday, August 17, 2010

~slow progress~

All those rows of quilting have caused progress to be quite slow on my Chanel-style jacket - the thread ends need to be unpicked and restitched back into place after the shell seam has been sewn - and there is a lot of thread ends! Next time I will definitely take a more minimal approach to my quilting!


Here's what I did:

Unpicked the quilting threads, cut the panel seams (being careful not to cut the threads), and sewed the seam by machine:


Pressed under the seam allowance on the centre back panel, and lapped it over the seam allowance of the side back panel:


Handsewed the lining seam using a fell stitch with 3mm spacing:


This is how I sewed fell stitch:


Proof that I completed a whole seam in fell stitch! Now all those threads need to be stitched back into place:


I backstitched the ends in place, following the needle holes from the previous stitching, and it looks a little bit hand done, but close enough to the machine stitching for me:


Of course, on the right side there is an equal number of thread ends to be handsewn back into place too.....

And that is just one side back seam! I have completed the other side back seam, and will start work on the side seams shortly. See you next month.....!

A couple of things I learnt through trial and error:
  • Leave long thread tails when machine quilting.
  • Overlock panel seams once cut, to prevent fraying. (although backstitching the quilting threads does help to stabilise it quite a bit)
  • When machining the seam, make sure that not only the checks/plaid matches, but the quilting lines match too - I was half a quilting row out when I sewed my second seam.....

17 comments:

  1. That is stunning and I'm impressed with all your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your progress may be slow but the garment you will have when completed will be well worth it! Nice work ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beatiful and careful work! And I love your fabric choice.

    I can't wait to see your jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh! It seems that can't I simply edit a comment that I entered before. There was a typo and I had to delete and re-enter the comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just gave you an award over on my blog, Sewing Is Hard...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really pretty :)

    -Alyssa

    http://alyflowers-azure.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful stitching, I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How is the jacket coming along? I would love to try one, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are oh so talented! I love the jacket! I can't wait to see more of your posts.

    Your newest follower,

    -Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi! Thanks you for your kind comment, the jacket you are making will come out beautiful I'm sure! =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely exquisite! When I see this beautiful fabric I am so sorry I did not buy out Linton Woolens when I visited England.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found your blog and I love the work you have completed on your Chanel jacket!!! This too is my dream, to make and own my own Chanel jacket. I purchased Claire Shaeffer's book and videos on couture sewing and am studying them. Would you please be kind enough to post the jacket patterns you referenced earlier? Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete