Wednesday, August 4, 2010

~my chanel jacket - the beginning~

Hi everyone! I'm Sherry and I've just begun my Chanel-style jacket, after having the fabric for a few months!  I hope to share it with you here as well as on my sewing blog pattern ~ scissors ~ cloth.


As you can see it is going to be a fairly standard shape, so I started from my existing jacket block with a princess line, which is a standard NZ size 10, and I graded it up to my measurements, which are a mish-mash of sizes between 10-14!  I made a quick calico toile, and it fitted perfectly - I just need to rotate the sleeve forward slightly. I am after a cropped fitted look, so I will shorten the body to high hip level and the sleeve to 3/4 length.

Luckily I happen to have perfectly matching silk/cotton in my stash, and I will use this for the lining. I have 5m of this silk/cotton, so might even make a matching blouse just like Chanel used to do!
 

I played around for ages experimenting with trims - I unravelled threads from the cloth and plaited them, crocheted them, and mixed them with existing trims I own. But have finally settled on simply using the selvedge like in the above photo. The fabric reverse has a lot of black threads so it provides a bit of contrast, and the selvedge is pretty cute. The left and right selvedge is slightly different though, so I won't be able to use them together.

And I couldn't help myself, I had to immediately cut out the back blocks and start quilting to see how it would look!:


I machine quilted in the lines of every second check repeat, which amounts to quite a lot of quilting! But I quite like the effect - just like a Chanel handbag ;)
 
So I imagine I will be seeing straight lines for the next few days!

7 comments:

  1. Sherry, you did a beautiful job of the quilting. Good luck with your jacket. The fabric is very pretty. Gita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very impressed with your quilting and look forward to seeing your jacket progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fabrics! What a phenomenal quilting job, with a start like this it's going to be a fab jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice...love the quilting you have chosen to do with your fabric. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to be as talented in sewing as you! Amazing :) x

    gingerebelq.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every premium product has discerning users. There are companies that provide custom-made jackets to customers who wish to have something they themselves designed. These jackets are called custom-tailored or custom jackets.
    For more my hero academia merch

    ReplyDelete