Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I ALWAYS KNEW




that I would make another Chanel-style jacket! I'm Elizabeth and this will be my second french jacket. Last fall I took Susan Khalje's jacket class and was hooked. I throughly enjoyed the process and felt oh so special whenever I wore my one-of-a-kind couture jacket. I wanted to make another one so that I could perfect the skills and techniques I learned. Jacket 1 is an investment of over 100 hours but worth every minute. I will use my existing self-drafted muslin with a few design changes - perhaps a v neckline and three quarter length sleeves. This will save quite alot of time and will assure a good fit.

For jacket #2 I am planning to use this boucle I just purchased on a recent trip to Nashville. (When in Nashville don't, whatever you do, DON'T miss Textile Fabrics!) It is a mix of pink, brown, gray, camel and silver metallic yarns and lighter weight than jacket 1. I have started my search for the perfect print for the lining and trims. Although a print lining doesn't showcase all the quilting it can hide anything that is less than perfect. I made my trim for jacket 1 by using a combination of braid, yarn and beads. This time I'm thinking maybe, fringe or ruffles or........... who knows what.

4 comments:

  1. So excited to have your knowledge join the sew along. Your handmade trim on jacket #1 is perfect! Did you start with a jacket pattern or is it completely self drafted? I am curious if Susan K. recommended a pattern or two!

    Can't wait to see your process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first jacket is lovely, and I can't wait to see the final product from the new fabric, that is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your first jacket! I look forward to watching the next one come together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over 100 hours! Wow, that is impressive. I can see how the previous jacket's muslin would save a lot of hours this second go-round! Glad you are sewing along, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete