I am happy to say my coat is done!
Even though it was a faux Chanel coat in the end, I am very satisfied with it. Well, that’s an understatement – this is the best sewn garment I have ever worked on! I made many jackets in the past, but none of them was sewn as neatly as this coat. Sewing the trim band took forever, but it was worth of every second I spent on it.
Here’s a picture of the coat on a hanger. I promise I’ll post the pictures of me wearing the coat, but I would like them to be taken when I’m all dressed up, instead of having on the current shorts and t-shirt combination.
The coat doesn’t have button closure, but metal frogs instead. They are sewn to the facing of the coat, so they are well hidden.
Since I didn’t quilt the lining to the shell fabric, I used the bagging a lining technique. The lining has a back pleat for better comfort.
- I was considering the two BWOF patterns: coat #116 from the 10/2005 issue and the jacket #108C from the 08/2006 issue. I opted for the coat pattern but altered it in the end. I guess I merged the best from the both styles.
- Since my hip measurements are one size bigger than my waist/top measurements, I traced the pattern in size 38 for the top and sleeves and size 40 for the bottom.
- The alterations included narrowing the coat in the waist area and narrowing the sleeves. Also I removed a bit of the sleeve head's ease. I made shoulder princess seams on front and back and made a mandarin collar. Also, I removed the button closure overlap of the central front panels. The coat’s length was cropped a bit as well.
I am so pleased with this coat, can't wait to wear it. I am envisioning various clothes combinations and matching shoes and accessories with them :). I just have to wait for weather to cool down a bit.