Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Quilting sneak peak


I first want to thank all the ladies that are bringing me their support. I would never have been able to undergo this project without your comments. This SAL is fantastic and I am learning so much everyday.As you can see back sections are sewn including the quilted lining .


 

To achieve this I am following Claire Schaeffer's method in Couture Sewing Techniques
This book is invaluable.

 

 After I quilted the lining the vertical seams were hand sewn with bee waxed thread

 
 

As is explained in Claire's book, one important difference between upscale Ready to wear and Haute-Couture is the huge amount of hand sewing used in Haute-Couture. For permanent sewing you have waxed your sewing thread before.
Ann from Ann's Fashion Studio sent me this great reference concerning tailoring techniques, including how to wax your thread. I know it is time consuming but I hope it will pay off. Furthermore, I find this hand sewing very pleasant to do.


Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I think I've said this before, but that lining is absolutely amazing. You are going to have one gorgeous coat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks incredible so far. I can't wait to see the finished jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing a great job! I can't wait to see the end result. I will start quilting after the New year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm super impressed - stunning work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...the lining fabric is FABULOUS!!! I'm hoping "Santa" will bring me Couture Sewing Techniques for Christmas...I informed one of his helpers...actually sent her the Amazon link (wink) (wink) in hopes of seeing it under the tree Christmas morning. Your jacket is coming out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really am at "awe" that you can sew this well!!! You could make a killing as my personal tailor because I am constantly getting stuff nipped and tucked on my clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's looking wonderful. I love hearing that other folks really enjoy the hand sewing part of this. I feel so geeky sometimes because I find it relaxing.

    ReplyDelete